Nothing makes my morning Greek yogurt better than a handful of really good, just a little bit sweet granola. It cuts the tanginess and adds some satisfying, nutty crunch. I played around with several recipes and have finally found exactly how to make the best homemade granola. It’s also great by itself- throw some in a container and keep in your bag or car to snack on when you’re on the go.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup silvered almonds
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Any additional ingredients you like- dried berries/pistachios/dark chocolate chips/pumpkin seeds…whatever floats your boat.
Side note- this exact recipe with dried bing cherries and coconut flakes is SUPERB.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Toss together the oats, almonds, flaxseed, cinnamon and salt- ensure they are well mixed
- In a separate bowl, stir together the honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract until combined
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oats mixture and toss to coat. You want to really make sure all the oats are covered- I just use my hands and work it all together.
- Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for 35-45 mins, stirring it around every 10 minutes. You want to make sure its cooking evenly, so don’t skip the stirring step! If you are using any dried berries or coconut, add them after the rest of the granola has baked for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. The granola will stay fresh in an airtight container for 2 weeks