Quick & Easy Homemade Dill Pickles (+ Kate Spade Giveaway Winner!)
I guess 20 years of living in the south finally rubbed off on me, because I somehow found myself making homemade dill pickles a couple of weeks ago. I was staring out the window on yet another rainy Sunday afternoon, flipping through recipes trying to figure out what to make for dinner. The lightning storm outside and the lack of interest I had for anything on TV had left me housebound and bored.
My eyes fell upon my favorite cheddar dill biscuit recipe (crazy easy and delish BTW) and thought it might be fun to do a southern-inspired meal; golden chicken biscuits with crunchy, cool dill pickles.
I had experimented with “quick-pickling” in the past thanks to our Plated meals, (usually with onion and cabbage) so I was curious to see if I could recreate it with cucumbers and make actual pickles. Much to my delight, it was really simple and they were soooo fresh and tasty. The entire process only took 10 minutes, if that.
They tasted so much better than store-bought that I don’t know that I’ll ever buy pickles again. Why bother? Since then, I’ve also experimented with red onion and it turned out really well too. (so yummy on salads!)
You can play around with herbs and spices however you like, just follow the basic recipe below.
- 6 medium / small cucumbers (I used the lighter-skinned, non-waxed kind and they were approximately 6 inches. I would not recommend using the dark, waxy version)
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped (always use fresh! Tweak more / less to your liking)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- Slice your cucumbers into thin slices; approximately 1/4 of an inch (could go smaller if you prefer- just keep them evenly sliced) and place them in a large jar with tight-fitting lid (I used a 32oz mason jar)
- Add salt, vinegar, dill and garlic (if using). The vinegar will not cover all of the pickles- this is normal. The salt will draw out water from the cucumbers and you will eventually have enough liquid (brine)
- Put the lid on the jar and shake well to ensure all the ingredients are mixed together
- Place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Shake once or twice to help distribute liquid.
That’s it! They will get better and better each hour after 🙂 Enjoy!
Now…on to the winner of the Kate Spade giveaway! How’s that for a segue? Pickles to purses 🙂 Congratulations to Brittany B for winning the Mini Mia handbag! Brittany- I will be e-mailing you the details, so be sure to check your inbox. A huge thank you to everyone who entered, can’t wait to do it again soon!