Every now and again I go a little crazy with pears. I just love the depth of flavor and texture they have and they really are so versatile. They are great by themselves, sturdy enough to be part of a cheese/meat platter, they hold up well in flatbreads and add a nice flair to cocktails. Pears also pair fabulously with blue cheese, and after buying a large bag of them at Costco I was inspired to make a blue cheese, pear, arugula, and caramelized onion flatbread. It was easy to make and can be served as an appetizer.
Blue Cheese Pear Flatbread
Serves 4 (as main meal)
- 4 flatbreads (I use naan bread- but you could use anything- a sturdy bread, pizza crust, etc.)
- 3 pears, sliced thin
- 1 cup good quality blue cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Arugula, tossed lightly in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil.
- Once butter is melted, add onion to skillet and cook until onions are soft, browned and caramelized. (turn down heat to medium and season with salt and pepper)
- While onions are cooking, place your flatbreads on a cookie sheet.
- Once onions are done, spread evenly on all the flatbreads. Then add slices of pear and sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Cook in oven according to your flatbread’s directions. I tend to cook them for 10-15 mins. (until edges are crisp and cheese is melted)
- Sprinkle with pepper, chopped walnuts, and add a drizzle of honey once removed from oven.
- Serve with arugula salad on top.