I’m well aware that I spend entirely too much time trying to make my Mondays more manageable, but I’ve come to realize that this is just who I am. And admit it- you too get that dreaded feeling on Sunday nights, knowing that it’s back to work come Monday morning. That being said, here are some simple tips I’ve found have helped perk up my Monday mornings.
Try these 5 simple steps on Monday to make your week brighter:
1) Make your bed. This is a tip straight from the Navy SEALS. (they are taught this on day one) It’ll be your first act of pride for the day and give you a sense of control. Besides, everyone knows your room immediately looks so much better once your bed is made.
2) Turn up the music, literally. Hop out of bed and blast some music. I promise you your mood will instantly improve. And when I say play some music, I mean something fun and upbeat that makes you want to MOVE. It works every single time for me.
3) Wear something bright. Lipstick, shoes, scarf- it’s doesn’t matter. Wear something sassy, fun, that brightens your mood and makes you feel good about yourself. I swear my hot pink pants put an extra pep in my step…I actually had a co-worker point this out to me once.
4) Get a good night’s sleep so that you can get up on time. Running late and being out of sorts in the morning will only make you feel worse. Nobody has time for this- you need time to dance around your bathroom while you get ready. When you’re running late, you cut corners (i.e. don’t blow out your hair, don’t take the time to eat a good breakfast) and then you’ve started your day annoyed with yourself and not feeling on top of your game. Again, adhering to a schedule helps you stay in control.
5) Plan an activity on Monday. One of my girlfriends and I always schedule our monthly massage appointments on Monday. We’ll meet for a glass of wine ahead of time and catch up. It gives us something to look forward to on Mondays. Try making plans to run with a girlfriend, go to lunch with a co-worker, or schedule a happy hour on a Monday evening instead of later in the week like we tend to default to.
Have a great week!