One of the things I love the most about the holiday season is the return of the holiday-inspired coffee flavors at “unnamed coffee-house.”For me, it’s the eggnog latte. Eggnog is one of those things that you either love or hate- I feel like black licorice falls into this category too- but I happen to enjoy it during the holidays because it just screams winter and the holidays to me.
If you don’t want to drink a days worth of calories, steer clear of that punch-bowl and try a little eggnog steamed in your coffee instead. I have perfected the homemade version- and at approximately 100 calories, you can enjoy a taste of the holiday season and still be able to fit into that LBD for your upcoming party.
Besides, think of how much money you’ll save not paying $5 at the aforementioned coffee-house.
I’ll say fa-la-la-la-la to that!
100 Calorie Eggnog Latte (maybe more like a cappuccino? Flat white?)
- 1/4 cup low-fat eggnog (I like Horizon Organic)
- 1/2 cup skim milk frothed
- 2 shots espresso (but you could also use coffee)
- ground nutmeg (extra points for freshly grated)
A milk frother is a great, inexpensive purchase if you are a coffee lover- you can find good ones for less than $20 online. My pictures and recipe are using a Nespresso machine, but any espresso/coffee maker/milk frother will work. Just adjust recipe slightly to meet your needs. I’m basing my calories on the above measurements using low-fat eggnog and skim milk.
- Using a milk frother, froth your eggnog and skim milk together.
- Place espresso (or coffee) into your mug
- Pour the eggnog/milk combo on top. (pour first, keeping froth out of the way with a spoon then spoon in the frothiness at the end. You’ll be amazed at your barista-like ways) 😉
- Grate fresh nutmeg over the top